Updated for 2017
Canada in 2017 is a HUGE deal. It’s Canada’s 150th birthday, and Ottawa is the nation’s capital city. There are some really big events that you shouldn’t miss out on!
The biggest event scheduled at the moment is a 20-minute firework show planned for July 1st.
Other events for the 150th celebration are scheduled on the long weekend between June 30th and July 2nd and include…
- Performances and concerts from some of Canada’s top talent on three sites: Parliament Hill, Major Hill’s Park, and The Canadian Museum of History. These have yet to be announced, but know that we’ll be among the first to know. (source: Canada.ca)
- Rumors of a royal visit by Prince William and Kate to help ring in the festivities (source).
There will definitely be big events held all over the city and lot of variety. We used to always spend our Canada Days downtown but, since we have had a family, we usually stay closer to home! But since this year is such a milestone, we might just have to make an exception.
Here is a list of what you can usually expect at Canada day events, based on past years…
- Flag Raising Ceremony
- Changing of the Guard
- RCMP Musical Ride
- Evening Show
- Fireworks – Canada Day Fireworks – beginning at 10pm (approximately)
Major’s Hill Park
- face painting
- photo exhibit
- and much, much more!
Jacques-Cartier Park (Gatineau)
- high dive show
- inflatable games
- face painting
Other Canada Day events around Ottawa
- Most of the Ottawa Museums around Ottawa will be holding various events and activities for people of all ages. Most are free for an added bonus.
- National Arts Centre usually holds free performances all day long
- Saunders Farm
- 7893 Bleeks Road, Munster (just follow the signs)
- Open 10am – 5pm
- and many other activities.
Don’t forget to check out your local community paper because there is bound to be some activities planned for your area as well.
For more information on the activities downtown for July 1, 2017, please check the Ottawa Tourism website for last minute details.
Hope you enjoy Canada Day in Ottawa this year and we will see you again next year!