Have you decided if you want to buy a new or previously owned home in Ottawa? For some people this is a tough decision to make.
We had a difficult time deciding what to buy as well when we were buying our first home back in 2004. After putting a lot of thought into it we ended up choosing to build a home but there were many previously owned homes that we liked as well. We just weighed the pros and cons (for us) and we decided that brand new would suit our lifestyle best.
Fast forward to today (Feb 2016) and we have actually bought 4 homes in 10 years. We bought 2 brand new and 2 previously owned homes. There were a lot of things that we preferred over the brand new ones but we also had very good reasons for choosing the previously owned ones. We are now in a previously owned home and we hope to stay here for a long time. Anything that we want to do to update it can be done at our own leisure.
After talking with many family and friends we came up with a little list of some of the pros & cons of buying new vs. previously owned that may help you out. Remember though that it all depends on you & your lifestyle.
Pros of Buying a Brand New Home:
- you can make changes to layout & design
- you can choose your own colours (i.e. paint, carpet, wood)
- you can upgrade (i.e. hardwood floors) while the house is being built so you don’t have to do it later on
- virtually no maintenance
- great warranty
- there are a lot of Ottawa New Home Builders to choose from
Cons of Buying a Brand New Home:
- no fence (this can become a privacy issue as well as be an added expense later on)
- no landscaping (gardens, shrubs, sometimes grass etc.)
- no mature trees
- still construction going on in the area (some people feel like they are living in a construction zone)
- driveway may not be paved until after the first winter (depending on builder)
- there may not be public transportation yet
Pros of Buying a Previously Owned Home:
- landscaping & fencing completed (or at least started)
- mature trees
- established neighbourhood (public transportation, amenities)
- no construction
Cons of Buying a Previously Owned Home:
- living with colour choices that you may not like
- possible structural or maintenance issues
- extra expenses to re-paint or upgrade present features
These are just a few things that you may want to think about when making your decision about buying a new or previously owned home in Ottawa. It will definitely depend on what you can afford and what you prefer. Talk it out amongst yourselves, speak to family & friends and weigh the pros and cons.
Good luck with whatever you decide on. Either way, it is a very exciting journey ahead.