This year it will be held on the weekends from January 29 to February 15, 2016 (including Family Day).
People from all over the world come to Ottawa to take part in this amazing event. We have been so many times and we have enjoyed it everytime.
Every year the organizers organize activities and variety to improve on the year before. Just when we think it can’t get any better, they add another fun event for us to enjoy!
The festival takes place at a few different sites in the city:
- Rideau Canal Skateway;
- Confederation Park;
- Jacques-Cartier Park;
- Museum of History; and
- Ottawa City Hall
For more details on the events taking place this year, please check out the
official Winterlude site.
Here are some of the activities that have taken place in previous years:
- skating on the Rideau Canal
- Byward Market Winterlude Stew Cook-Off
- Annual Bed Race – this is one hilarious even that has been taking part in the festival for years. You should see some of the unique beds that are made for this event.
- Ice-Carving Masters Invitational – we are always amazed at the sculptures that are made with 25 blocks of ice in 30 hours!
- Public Ice-Carving Challenge – this is a challenge for amateur ice-carvers. You must register in advance for this challenge.
- Capital Loggers – displays and special activities
- Snowflake Kingdom
- and so much more!
The activities really are endless. You can easily spend the entire 3 weekends here in Ottawa enjoying all the festivities.
If you are interested in renting skates or sleighs, you can rent them at 3 different locations around the city:
- the National Arts Centre (613-233-7980)
- Fifth Avenue (613-233-7980)
- Dow’s Lake Pavilion (613-232-1001)
You can pick up your official guide at the Capital Information Kiosk inside the World Exchange Plaza at 111 Albert Street (Ottawa) or from one of many other locations across the city.
Have fun and enjoy this spectacular Winter celebration!