The Shaw Centre (formerly know as the Ottawa Convention Centre) opened in April 2011 and is located on the site where the Congress Centre used to be.
This one of a kind facility, located right by the Rideau Canal is a popular location for weddings, meetings and tradeshows in Ottawa.
It is directly linked to the Westin Hotel and Rideau Centre therefore it is walking distance to hundreds of hotels and restaurants in downtown Ottawa.
If you are in the downtown area, you probably won’t be able to miss the Convention Centre’s 100 ft. / 31 m. high sweeping window façade. It is absolutely beautiful and definitely worth snapping a few pictures of! You can get great photos from the Mackenzie King bridge or along the Rideau Canal.
The Convention Centre has been a topic of discussion for people in the events and meetings industry in Ottawa over the past few decades and we are sure it is just what they were hoping for.
Some highlights of the new Convention Centre in Ottawa are:
- 192,000 sq. ft. of usable space
- 28 meeting rooms in maximum configuration
- 56,000 sq. ft. multipurpose hall (capacity of 6,260 theatre-style and 4,600 banquet style)
- 21,300 sq. ft. ballroom with view of the Rideau Canal and Parliament Hill
- menus that will use local Ottawa ingredients and cuisine
- parking will be in a 2-storey underground facility with 737 spaces (entrances are located on Daly and Nicholas Street South)
Our website has always had a great section on wedding planning. The Convention Centre is definitely at the top of our list of recommended wedding venues in Ottawa. It offers great wedding packages and gorgeous panoramic views (great for photos)! We went to a wedding there recently and had a wonderful evening.
We are definitely looking forward to attending more events at this spectacular facility.
If you want more information about this amazing facility, please visit the
Ottawa Convention Centre website