Mother’s Day in Ottawa (2016) will be celebrated on Sunday, May 8, 2016. In Canada, Mother’s Day is on the second Sunday in May each year.
Seeing as it is celebrated on different days around the world, if you need to send a card or gift to another country, you may want to check the date!! Trust us, we got stuck one year and couldn’t find a card to send to the UK in March. A lot of card shops do sell Mother’s Day cards throughout the year now (phew)!
As a Mom, I know how special this day can be for the children. They get so excited to make me hand made gifts and to do something special.
Here are a few ideas on what to do with the Mom(s) in your life and/or to suggest to your children if they are looking for ideas for you:
- Canadian Tulip Festival – the festival is always held in May so it is a perfect time to take Mom (or have your children take you);
- a “Spa Day” – some spas are open on Sundays now. If the one you want to go to isn’t, ask your Mom if she wouldn’t mind celebrating on a Saturday;
- a fun day at home and take out – I know this sounds silly but I don’t like to cook on Mother’s Day so in previous years, if we don’t want to deal with the crowds in the restaurants, we do a take out at home. It leaves more time to spend with the kids and Mom doesn’t have to do any work in the kitchen;
- the kids can cook a special meal for Mom (regardless of their age);
- Brunch – there are many restaurants around Ottawa that are having special Mother’s Day brunches. Make sure to make reservations early to avoid disappointment. Here are some restaurants that we know of:
Strathmere (at the Lodge)
613-271-1800 The Herb Harden
3840 Old Almonte Road
Dows Lake Pavillion
If you are looking for more ideas on how to spend the day with your Mom or gift ideas, we will be updating this page regularly to help you out.