If you are looking for a Santa Claus in Ottawa for your kids to have their picture taken with or to give their Christmas list to, we are here to help. Taking pictures with Santa was a tradition our families had when we were younger and now the tradition has passed on to our children. Technology today also allows us to find Santa Claus in other ways, which we would like to share with you as well.
One place you are definitely going to see Santa is at the numerous Ottawa Santa Claus parades. They are held at different times all around the city. Check out our list for the date and time near you.
Now, back to pictures with Santa Claus in Ottawa!! There are plenty of locations to choose from and they are open various hours so we are sure you will be able to find a Santa that fits into your schedule.
Most of the Ottawa Mall Santas start the season off around the middle of November. Some of them begin right after a local Christmas Parade so if your town’s parade is ending up at a Mall, you may want to follow the parade so you can visit with Santa. What a great way to end a Christmas parade!
Now before heading out to visit one of the Ottawa Santas, we do have a few tips if you are going to get your kiddies’ pictures taken (we have learned from experience):
- if you don’t like the look of winter boots in the picture, make sure to bring a pair of indoor shoes to change into;
- bring a brush and extra hair elastics/barrettes;
- bring some type of wet cloth or tissues (one year we waited so long that we had to have a snack in the line up…you guessed it – food all over their faces. We had to use the “spit on the finger” technique to get it off);
- try to give your younger ones a heads up because some of them are really scared of Santa. In the past, we have shown them pictures on the computer of Santa with other kids so they know what it is all about;
- bring your own camera but make sure not to be in the photographer’s way (you might want to ask if it is okay if you take a couple of pictures);
- and most important, try not to be disappointed if your child is unhappy in the photo. It will still be a great memory and one that you can all chuckle over in future years. I still laugh at my photo with Santa when I had just turned 2 years old. Red face, tears streaming down and mouth wide open screaming!! It’s a classic!
We don’t want to disappoint anyone by posting visiting hours that could possibly change, so instead, we are providing a list of malls where Santa will be making an appearance, along with the number to call to make sure he is going to be around when you plan to go:
100 Bayshore Drive
Billings Bridge Plaza
2323 Riverside Drive
300 Eagleson Road (at Hazeldean)
110 Place D’Orleans Drive
St. Laurent Boulevard
Write a Letter to Santa
Don’t forget to put your return address on your letter so he can write you back
“Electronic” Christmas Activities in Ottawa for the Whole Family
Technology has now made it possible to reach Santa online! There are several sites that offer Christmas related activities for the kids as well as a personalized e-mail message from Santa. Our kids were so enthralled when Santa addressed them by name and had a picture ofthem and knew what they wanted for Christmas!
Canada Post Website – Santa’s Corner
The Canada Post Website has a section called “Santa’s Corner” for kids. It has activities, recipes, crafts and lots of other fun festive stuff to do online. Check it out with your kiddies – it may prove to be a good way to spend some time on a cold or snowy afternoon. Santa’s Corner website (Canada Post)
Personalized Video Message from Santa
This is not just for Ottawa residents but we wanted to share it with all of you because it is a really neat idea and our children LOVED it. There are two websites to choose from and these messages can be personalized for your child, and they can even see their own picture in Santa’s book!
- Sympatico Magic Santa
Website will be available mid-November.
- Portable Northpole
In our search for fun holiday related activities, we came across this wonderful website for kids. It offers dozens of activities for children in an award-winning and child-safe environment. Kids can have a peek at Santa’s Secret Village combined with creative features to keep children entertained.
Have fun visiting Santa Claus in Ottawa! Ho! Ho! Ho!
Leave Santa Claus in Ottawa page and return to Christmas Homepage