Even though the Ottawa Little Theatre has thousands of members that subscribe each year, we still consider it to be a hidden gem in the city. The shows are unique, the prices can’t be beat and the theatre has so much history.
The theatre has been around since 1913, making it the longest running community theatre in Canada. It faced a terrible fire in 1970 but it was re-built and now has an auditorium that can seat over 450 in an intimate setting. There is also a licensed bar and displays by the Ottawa Art Association.
The plays may not be for everyone because the actors are not professionals but to a lot of people this is what makes the plays so unique. You may see some rising stars or you may see someone who is a complete newcomer with no experience whatsoever.
Here is some useful information about the Theatre:
- Located at 400 King Edward
- Telephone # 613-233-8948
- Ticket prices for individual shows are: Adults – $25 Seniors – $22 Students – $12 anytime
- There are custom ticket packages that are very flexible – call their box office to find out more
- Shows usually begin at 8:00pm and some even have a matinee on a Sunday
- Parking is limited at the theatre but there are parking lots nearby (a short walking distance)
- There are a few different OC Transpo bus routes that go by the theatre
- If you are interested in auditioning for a show, contact their office for more information. Auditions are usually held 2-3 months before the production.
The upcoming season has a good variety of shows including comedies, dramas and romantic plays. This may be just the night out that you are looking for. How about a nice dinner and a nice play featuring local talent in Ottawa?
Besides putting on different theatrical productions, they also rent out their rooms. If you are looking for a unique place to hold an event (big or small), they have a few spaces available. You can rent out the Big Stage (462 seats), the Lobby or the Janigan Studio (47 seats).
No matter what your reason, we hope you enjoy the Ottawa Little Theatre.
Leave Ottawa Little Theatre and return to Homepage