Apart from shops, Sparks Street Mall is also filled with cafes and pubs and offers special events throughout the year. It is also a beautiful pedestrian area to take a stroll.
The history of Sparks Street is quite fascinating. It was founded by Nicholas Sparks in the early 1800’s and is one of Canada’s oldest pedestrian malls. Thomas D’Arcy McGee who was part of the Canadian Parliament was assassinated on Sparks Street on April 7, 1868. Just steps away from the place where he was assassinated, at the corner of Elgin and Sparks, is D’Arcy McGee’s Irish pub.
If you are planning on doing some shopping then here are some of the shops that you will find:
- Canada’s Four Corners – great place to go if you are looking for high quality Canadian souvenirs
- jewellry stores
- souvenir shops
- clothing stores
- book stores
- shoe stores
- and much more
Who can forget the special events take place here every year? Some will get you all dressed up, some will get you laughing and some will get you filling your face with some of the best barbecued food out there. Here are a few of the events that liven up the Street:
- Mardi Gras – takes place very February
- International Buskerfest – Normally held the long weekend in August some of the most talented street performers in the world perform during this festival in the summer
- Chicken-Rib Cookoff – Usually held mid-June come and try some delicious chicken & ribs
- Christmas Lights – don’t forget your cameras because the street lights up at this time of year
- New Year’s Eve – for the past few years, Sparks Street has held one of the most exciting outdoor concert and celebration on NYE
Are you hungry or thirsty after your busy day of shopping and walking around? Here are some of the pubs that we recommend:
- D’Arcy McGee’s Irish Pub
- Parliament Pub
- The Cock and Lion
- Brixton’s Pub
- or try one of the outdoor cafes so you can get some fresh air and take in your surroundings
We love going down to this arae of the City. We work very close by so we often go for walks at lunchtime. There is so much history and the buildings have so much character. There is also a great selection of places to have a relaxing meal. We sure hope you enjoy it just as much as we do.